This blog started as a photo-a-day blog in 2006, October 2009 it become an official WHAT-NOT blog and/or random thoughts from a Filmmaker blog.

Monday, February 06, 2012

Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present


I saw a second art film at the Sundance Film Festival, “Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present.” Marina is a performance artist from Yugoslavia. It is sometimes nice to jump into someone’s subculture and really look around. That is one of my favorite things about being a documentary filmmaker. When you film it is days, weeks or months -and almost everybody I have ever filmed has changed how I see the world.
The amazing thing about watching a documentary is that you only need to give a hour or so and sometimes it can really alter your world view.
I guess that is why I have dedicated my life to this thing called documentary or nonfiction filmmaking. It is rewarding, creatively satisfying and always gets me thinking.
Oh Yeah, “The Artist is Present” is worth seeing, another great reference for films about art. Matthew Akers does a nice work as a director/cinematographer (that is the way I have been doing it lately---2 hats is all good)...
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive